We are calling the new generation of contemporary dancers from the Middle East and North Africa (MENA region) for the Dancing on the Edge Scholarship Program 2018. Dancing on the Edge (DOTE) offers scholarships to young talent from the MENA region to attend a three-week summer dance workshop program in Amsterdam.
DOTE is the only organization in The Netherlands solely devoted to stimulating artistic exchange in the fields of contemporary dance, theater, and multi-media with the MENA region. The scholarship is offered in collaboration with the Henny Jurriëns Foundation (HJS). HJS is the most prominent dance-training institute for professional level dancers in The Netherlands. DOTE and HJS have been collaborating since 2012 offering scholarships.
Dancing on the Edge Scholarship Program
The scholarship allows dancers to participate in the Amsterdam Summer Intensive. For three weeks (from 7-27 July), dancers can take technique classes and participate in workshops, taught by teachers representing the most important companies and styles in today’s contemporary dance world. These include Akram Khan, Kidd Pivot (Crystal Pite), Peeping Tom and Eastman/Sidi Larbi Cherkaoui, and many others. The program is an ideal opportunity for dancers to study in an international atmosphere together with other professionals and professionally oriented dancers. Dancers can also attend performances from the cutting-edge Julidans Festival, which takes place at the same time.
The scholarships cover travel and visa expenses, accommodation, program fees, and some performance tickets. There is no per diem: participants are expected to pay for their own living and other expenses. They should also pay their own travel/health insurance.
- must come from (and be at least partly based in) an Arab country or Iran
- must have at least some (and preferably substantial) training and performance experience in contemporary dance
- must be no older than 27 years
- must be capable of travelling and living independently for this period
- must have enough resources to pay for food and other living expenses that may occur in this period
- must have or be able to acquire health/travel insurance for this period
- are responsible for attaining a visa if necessary (with the help of organizing parties)
How to apply:
Application is now closed
For questions, please write to: email@example.com
picture (c) Passie in Beeld