We are calling the new generation of dancers from West Asia (also known as the Middle East) and North Africa (WANA region) for the Dancing on the Edge Scholarship Program 2022. Dancing on the Edge offers scholarships to young talent from the WANA region to attend a three-week Summer dance workshop program.
In 2022, depending on the development around Covid-19, this will either be offline in Amsterdam (attending the three-week Amsterdam Summer Intensive) for 2 participants or online in a three-week Online Masterclass Program for a group of dancers. On the application form, you can let us know if you are interested to participate in both programs, or just one or the other.
Dancing on the Edge (DOTE) has been offering scholarships since 2012, in collaboration with the Henny Jurriëns Studio (HJS), a dance-training institute for professional level dancers in Amsterdam, the Netherlands.
Offline Scholarship Program – Amsterdam Summer Intensive
During the three weeks of the offline scholarship in Amsterdam, dancers can take dance classes (ballet, contemporary, Gaga, and more) and participate in different workshops (repertoire, creation). The program is an ideal opportunity for dancers to study in an international atmosphere together with other professionally oriented dancers.
The DOTE Scholarship Program covers travel and visa expenses, accommodation, program fees, and some performance tickets of Julidance Festival. There is no per diem: participants are expected to pay for their own living and other expenses. They should also pay their own travel/health insurance.
The Amsterdam Summer Intensive takes place from 11th till 29th of July.
Online Masterclass Program
During the three weeks of the online scholarship, the masterclass program, dancers can take some of the same classes by the same teachers in a carefully selected online program. This can be done from home. A small space to move is enough, as long as you can focus there, and you have a laptop and internet to use. In a small group of selected dancers, you will take part in an intensive online program, with a different teacher every week and one three-week workshop. You can expect more personal attention than in the offline classes, more possibility to ask questions, and great opportunities to expand your network.
This three-week program will probably take place in June 2022.
Take a look at the 2021 Online Masterclass Program here.
Dancers applying must:
- come from (and be at least partly based in) a place in West Asia (also known as the Middle East) or North Africa.
- have at least some (and preferably substantial) training and performance experience in contemporary dance
- be no older than 27 years
- For the offline program: be capable of travelling and living independently for this period
- For the offline program: have enough resources to pay for food and other living expenses that may occur in this period
- For the offline program: have or be able to acquire health/travel insurance for this period
- For the offline program: arrange their own visa if necessary (with the help of Dancing on the Edge
- For the online program: have a good internet connection and a small, quiet space to participate freely
How to apply:
Please fill in this short form before 15 March 2022, after this application deadline the form will close and you will not be able to apply anymore. Your motivation and short video (can be filmed with your phone, just make sure we can get an idea of your dance skills) is the most the most important. We are looking forward!
For questions, please write to: firstname.lastname@example.org