Call for Contemporary Dancers from the Middle East and North Africa for the Dancing on the Edge Scholarship Program
Dancing on the Edge is offering scholarships to talented dancers from Arab countries and Iran to attend a summer dance workshop program in Amsterdam. Dancing on the Edge (DOTE) is the only organization in the country devoted to stimulating artistic exchange in the fields of contemporary dance, theater, and multi-media with the Middle East and North Africa. The scholarship program is offered in collaboration with Henny Jurriëns Foundation (HJS). HJS is the most prominent dance training institute for professional-level dancers in The Netherlands. DOTE and HJS have been collaborating since 2012 to offer scholarships.
The program for which the scholarships are given is called the Amsterdam Summer Intensive. During a three week long program (8-28 July 2017), dancers can take technique classes and participate in workshops given by teachers representing the most important companies and styles in today’s contemporary dance world. These have included Eastman/Sidi Larbi Cherkaoui, Ultima Vez/ Wim Vandekeybus, Akram Khan Company, and many others. Dancers can also attend performances from the cutting-edge Julidans Festival which takes place at the same time. Dancers from about 35 different countries usually attend the program.
The scholarships cover travel and visa costs, accommodation, program fees, and some performance tickets. There is no per diem; participants are expected to pay for their own living and other expenses. They should also purchase their own travel/health insurance.
• must come from (and at least partly based in) the Middle East/North Africa
• must have at least some (and preferably substantial) training and performance experience in contemporary dance
• must be no older than 30 years old
• must be capable of travelling and living independently for this period
• must have enough resources to pay for food and other living expenses that may occur in this period
• must have or be able to acquire health/travel insurance for this period
• are responsible for attaining a visa if necessary (with the help of the organizing parties)
How to apply
Application is now closed
Deadline: 15 February 2017
For questions please write to: office(at)dancingontheedge.nl
Photo © Passie in Beeld